I’ve been on an I Love Lucky kick. It’s fantastic. Whenever I’m feeling blah I turn on Hulu and get my Lucy on.
These are some of the things I’ve learned from I Love Lucy:
1. It’s OK to cry. It seems like every other episode Lucy is sobbing over something or other. Most of the time one of her schemes didn’t work out like she thought it would, but sometimes she cries just to get her way. Ricky, on the receiving end of what can only be termed a ‘tantrum,’ usually caves and/or feels extremely guilty and buys her something. I don’t think I’ll be going this route in my marriage (as I already have a 14 month old who has started throwing tantrums when she doesn’t get what she wants and adding mommy to the mix might give my hubby apoplexy).
2. If you aren’t allowed to use the term ‘pregnant’ in your place of work, substitute ‘enciente’. This seems crazy in this day and age, but you couldn’t say “pregnant” on TV in the 50s – whoa! And her maternity clothes! Circus tents with frilly collars/decorative buttons. Talk about trying to hide a major fact of life. Sooo glad I live in a time when pregnancy can be talked about and is celebrated! (And the clothes are cute too!)
3. Lean on your close friends. Ethel was always there for the Lucy. Always taking part in Lucy’s crazy schemes (no matter how many times they backfired) and ready to back her up when Ricky was mad about whatever Lucy had done. We should all be so lucky.
4. Never take life too seriously. I Love Lucy only deals with the lighter side of life and I love that about it. There’s plenty of serious stuff we have to deal with everyday and I don’t need my TV shows adding additional anxiety to my life.
5. Never give up. I think this is the most important lesson from the series. Lucy never quits trying to have her shot at fame. Poor Lucy…she’s not good at singing, dancing, or acting and she doesn’t know it (even though everyone around her tells her all the time). Still, she perseveres and takes every opportunity she can to be in the spotlight.
Now if you’ll excuse me, I have another season to watch!